Monday, May 16, 2011

arrived in Esteli

I arrived yesterday in Esteli and have been speaking with the Director of ERSLA, Rodney, about the various projects that I will be working on. As Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) we understand the importance of sustainability and working with interested community members.  Of the projects, from teaching first aid to first responders, community members, and more to teaching about a local tree Maranga with many health benefits, it is important to ensure that the interested parties are as committed to learning as we are to teaching.

I'm really excited to be here and be part of a grassroots organization that is focused on addressing community health needs.

My first job is to design a first aid class that will be taught in about a week to a group of Coordinators for a local non profit organization that works with youth. I have only been recently certified in First Aid through the American Red Cross and so my knowledge is rather limited. Yet with internet access, reference books, and previous community health knowledge from working in rural areas I know enough of the basics to make the class a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment